Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bally Total Fitness

January 7, 2010
I tried Bally's in Little Neck, NY on a one week pass that I printed from the company's web site (http://www.ballyfitness.com/). The gym is located on the eastbound LIE service road.

This was by far the worst gym I have tried. I couldn't even bring myself to come back after the first day.

Parking: free two hour parking, after that its $2/hour. However, the attendant's watch is slow at check-in and fast at check out, so no matter how long you are in there for, it will be at least $2 to park.

Facility: old, dirty, and jam packed with machines. There is a swimming pool but it was closed at the time of my visit so I didn't get to check it out.

Classes: offer 40 morning and evening sessions in an old, dark studio, with the dirtiest exercise equipment I have ever seen. The mats were shameful and I saw people bringing their own into class for the first time. The instructor was also the worst I have seen - she looked like she just came out of a biker bar, with holes in her clothes and didn't even exhibit proper form.

Locker rooms: very basic, lockers and showers, no towels (you can buy a sweat towel at front desk for $3.95), not even paper towels, so if you forget yours you will need to use the hand dryers to dry your body off. Luckily, three of them are positioned rather high up, possibly with this purpose in mind.

Price: The cheapest of any gym I have yet to visit, and understandably so given the low quality, $32.99/month, no initiation fee but $20 credit card processing fee. No commitment but need to pre-pay first and last month's fee and need to give 25 days notice to cancel, so effectively committed for a minimum three month membership.

Would not recommend this place under any circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment